Top Cardiac Electrophysiologist In Birmingham, AL
Macy C. Smith, Jr., MD, FACC, FHRS is a Top Cardiac Electrophysiologist in Birmingham, Alabama specializing in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias. Atrial fibrillation or Afib is the most common heart irregularity that Dr. Smith specializes in. He offers a variety of treatment options for his patients including ablation therapy, cardioversion, convergent therapy, and the new WATCHMAN procedure.
Dr. Macy Smith is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (FACC) and Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS), one of the highest membership levels attainable.
Earning the right to include FACC and FHRS designation among your credentials lets your colleagues and patients know that you have been conferred to the highest credential by your peers. It shows that you are committed to only the highest standards of Cardiovascular Care and Cardiac Electrophysiology.
Dr. Smith is also the Director of the Electrophysiology Center of Excellence for Cardiovascular Associates.
What Dr. Smith’s Patient’s Say
“Dr Macy is an excellent doctor! He diagnosed my heart problem, and after a careful explanation of treatment options, he provided the most non-invasive treatment possible. I am healed and much stronger. I would highly recommend Dr. Macy to anyone needing treatment.”
“Dr. Smith performed an ablation on my mom after months of getting the runaround from other doctors. He heard her case, understood how desperately she needed her procedure, and wasted no time helping her. His bedside manner is calm and reassuring, and his compassion is so tangible. Many, many thanks to Dr. Smith and his group for taking such immediate and thorough care of my mother during her health struggles!” – L.R.
“I had been suffering from frequent atrial fibrillation for 13 years. Medications did not help and I was told by several cardiologists that there was nothing they could do and not to worry about it. On my first visit to Dr. Smith, he assured me that there was a remedy. Three weeks later he did a cardiac ablation. I had one more episode 2 weeks later but have had no other problems. I have my energy back and a renewed zest for life! Thank you Dr. Smith!!!” – Linda B.
Experience In Treating Heart Disorders
As a Cardiac Electrophysiologist, Dr. Smith has a lot of experience in treating arrhythmias and heart disorders.
Education & Credentials
Dr. Macy Smith graduated in 2001 from the University of Alabama School of Medicine in Birmingham, AL. From 2001-2002 he completed an Internal Medicine internship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He then completed his Internal Medicine residency in the following two years. After completing residency, Dr. Smith completed a number of fellowships at The Ohio State University. These include Cardiovascular Medicine Fellow (2004-2008), Chief Cardiology Fellow (2006-2007), and Electrophysiology Fellow (2007-2008).
Dr. Smith has achieved many certifications in his specialty. these include:
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2004
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty Cardiovascular Disease, 2007
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology, 2012
- Fellowship in the Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS), 2014
- The fellowship is one of the highest membership levels attainable in the American College of Cardiology. Earning the right to include the FACC designation among your credentials lets your colleagues and patients know that you have been conferred to the highest credential by your peers – and that you are committed to only the highest standards of Cardiovascular care.
- Fellowship is one of the highest membership levels attainable in the Heart Rhythm Society. Earning the right to include FHRS designation among your credentials lets your colleagues and patients know that you have been conferred to the highest credential by your peers – and that you are committed to only the highest standards of Cardiac Electrophysiology. Read more about FHRS.
Dr. Macy C. Smith is married and the father of 3 girls and 1 boy. He is a college football fan and aviation enthusiast. Dr. Smith coaches his children's basketball teams and exercises daily. He enjoys spending time with his family, learning new skills, and outdoor activities.
Schedule A Consultation
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Macy Smith, call 205.510.5000. If you are suffering from Atrial Fibrillation or another arrhythmia, contact us today! Macy C. Smith, Jr., MD, FACC, FHRS serves Birmingham, Alabama and surrounding areas